Image description


A Mission Community in the Diocese of Exeter

The Church is situated in Loxhore Town, one of the three scattered groups of dwellings that, with out-lying farms, comprise the Parish of Loxhore.


Little remains of the original church save the bases of the pillars in the nave, and the piscine within the south wall of the chancel. The church was rebuilt during the fifteenth century and has been restored several times since. It is small, consisting of nave, chancel, north aisle and tower. Originally there was a tympanum between the nave and chancel.


The chancel has two good lancet windows and an unusually narrow two-light east window. The aisle is divided from the nave by three bays or arch-less wooden piers. There are wagon roofs throughout with flower and leaf bosses.


The front is octagonal, though quite plain. The bowl is set upon a thick shaft with a single band of moulding. The sixteenth century cover has a crocketed top with decorative cable bands.


The lectern dates from 1903. The tower is two-stage embattled, with pinnacles. There are six bells, which were refurbished in 1999 and are now in good ringing order. They are small and light and thus not easy to ring well.


There are several interesting memorials to the Carpenter and Hammond families. The quaint brass in the north wall of the .chancel to Richard Carpenter (1627) is curiously inscribed in several types of lettering. The excellent memorial to Edward Hammond (1614) in the north aisle is decorated with cherubs and an urn. Elsewhere are slabs dated 1632 and 1652 and an elaborate monument to Phillip Hammond (1704). The Royal Arms of Queen Anne are on the west wall of the aisle.