East Down (St John the Baptist) with Arlington (St James)

Image description
Image description

St James, Arlington

St John the Baptist, East Down

ARLINGTON

 

The formally separate parishes of East Down and Arlington became a united benefice in 1944.

 

St James, a Chapel of Ease, is a Grade 2* listed building situated within the grounds of Arlington Court, a popular National Trust property.  The church was largely rebuilt in the 19th century, and comprises a nave, south transept, chancel and tower. 


The tower houses a peal of six bells, which are rung occasionally by both local and visiting teams. The church contains a number of monuments to the Chichester family, including one to Rosalie Chichester (d.1949) who bequeathed Arlington Court to the National Trust.

 

  

 

EAST DOWN

 

The formally separate parishes of East Down and Arlington became a united benefice in 1944.

 

St John the Baptist church is a grade 2* listed building, and was first recorded in 1260. The building was the local manorial chapel, dating from the 13th century, prior to becoming a parish church by gift in 1469. Numerous additions, alterations and refurbishments have taken place over the centuries. 


The rood screen is of particular note, a fine example of 15th century craftsmanship, and was carefully restored in 1925. the tower is the oldest part of the building, bearing a ‘bullet’ hole from a skirmish during the Civil War. 


Within the churchyard is a rare example of a church house, dating from the same period as the church itself. 



CONTACTS


EAST DOWN & ARLINGTON:














SERVICES


EAST DOWN

There will be a short Harvest Thanksgiving service on the third Sunday in the month at 4.30pm.

 

ARLINGTON

Festival services are held here from time to time.

.